Dental Replacement Options |More Information About Dental Implants
Aside from trauma or dental injury, tooth loss can occur due to a number of reasons. These reasons or factors include practicing bad oral hygiene, frequent tooth grinding or bruxism, failing to have teeth with caries properly treated, smoking and drinking, and poor nutrition. If you fail to correct these bad habits immediately and neglect to visit your dentist regularly, you may end up losing all of your natural teeth in a short span of time.
Once you already have a number of missing teeth, you can choose from among various dental solutions available to replace them. One of the most popular dental replacement options today is to get dental implants.
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that is surgically placed in a person’s jaw to securely hold a crown, removable denture or bridge. A dental implant is made up of three parts:
- The implant device –The part which is surgically inserted into the jaw bone
- The abutment – The piece that connects the implant device to the replacement tooth
- Crown or denture – The artificial replacement tooth
Implants are usually made of titanium. This is the most popular material of choice since it is bio-compatible, has been proven to be strong and durable, and has the unique property of effectively fusing directly to the bone through a process called osseointegration.
Benefits Offered By Dental Implants
Dental implants can offer numerous benefits to individuals who want to replace one or more of their missing teeth. Their advantages include the following:
- They look and feel like natural teeth. Compared to bridges and dentures, implants are simply aesthetically superior since they stay in place and they look and function like real teeth. With a dental implant, you may even forget that you lost a tooth.
- They provide comfort and convenience of use. With this cosmetic dental solution, you don’t have to go through the bother and discomfort of removing dentures to clean them or before going to sleep. Unlike dentures, which usually make chewing difficult, implants function like your own natural teeth; as such, you get to eat your favorite foods without pain and worries.
- They enhance oral health. An implant can save the adjacent teeth since they don’t need to be anchored to the teeth next to them. As a result, they preserve the overall integrity of your healthy, natural teeth. With implants, you also have easier access between teeth, thus improving your oral hygiene.
- They are strong and durable. As previously mentioned, dental implants are made of titanium, one of the strongest and most durable materials around. They will definitely last for many years. With proper care and maintenance, they may even last a lifetime.
- They won’t impede your speech. Lastly, dentures can slip within the mouth, causing you to mumble or slur your words. Implants, however, won’t give you this problem since they stay in place and the artificial teeth would never slip.
Dental implants can make the loss of natural teeth more bearable. With this cosmetic dental solution, you can have better oral health and feel more confident about your smile. If you feel that dental implants are the right solution for you, call Horizon Dental Group and schedule an appointment for a consultation.