5 Problems From Wisdom Teeth You May Experience
Many ask if it’s truly necessary to have all wisdom teeth removed.
Wisdom teeth removal is only required if there are problems with wisdom teeth. If you don’t have them, then it’s completely fine to just leave them alone, according to a Prescott, AZ dentist.
So, what are the problems from wisdom teeth that indicate the necessity to remove them? Listed below are five of them.
- The teeth didn’t break through the gums completely because your mouth is already overcrowded. This can cause gum tissue to grow over them. The flap of gum tissue can trap food, which then can lead to either gum infection or tooth decay.
- The wisdom teeth came out crooked or facing the wrong direction due to overcrowding. Not only do they look weird, but they can also create tightness or weird spaces (that food debris can settle into) between teeth.
- They get stuck in the jaw. A lot of people suffer from impacted wisdom teeth because there’s just not enough room in the mouth for all of the teeth. Impacted wisdom teeth can be quite painful (some people complain that the sensation is quite similar to a severe migraine and the pain spreads across the face and the base of the head) and also lead to swelling.
- Some wisdom teeth come out at the far back in the mouth that it’s just not possible to properly take care of them. They’re difficult to reach with a toothbrush and to floss. Therefore, they are prone to tooth decay and are better off extracted.
- At times, a cyst forms around wisdom teeth and this can damage the bone or roots.
All these problems lead to great physical discomfort, which is why it’s smart for parents to take their young children who have yet to grow their wisdom teeth for regular dental checkups. Dentists can check signs for wisdom teeth coming through and conduct an X-ray exam.
The X-ray will reveal if wisdom teeth are likely to cause problems. From this, a program can be created either to assist the proper growth of wisdom teeth or to ensure that problematic wisdom teeth won’t cause health issues.